For a number of years now Martin has been running basic sessions for people to get them started or moved forward with some of the fundamental computing processes.
The sessions are currently run at Cafe Culture in groups of up to 8 people, with individuals using their own laptops or by booking one of the loan laptops (used with a standard keyboard and mouse).
Below are descriptions of each session. Dates of forthcoming sessions are at the bottom of the page. If you are interested in joining one of these sessions but cannot make the date given, then please contact the office and leave your details so we can contact you regarding future dates. Each session is £15.00 per person (including tea or coffee).
In the beginning - getting to know Windows
Have your hand held and be guided through the very basics of Windows, from turning it on, through all the little things on the screen and in the corners, to shutting it down.
Self Help for Computer Users
Tips on regular maintenance you can undertake; items you can check rather than just assume it is working; caring for your equipment; and other ideas to ensure the best for your computer experience.
File and Folder Management (aka Managing Your Photos)
- How to create and rename folders
- How to move files/photos into folders
- How to rename files/photos individually or in groups
- This session will utilise ‘drag and drop’
- During the session various other aspects of relating to file and folder management are covered.
Email and Internet
- The whys and wherefores of email
- Receiving them, reading them, replying to them
- Creating them, sending them, sending attachments
- Managing them, filing them and things you never thought of
- What you can do with the internet
- Have your eyes opened to the real oportunities of the internet
- Get ideas, sensible suggestions and practical approaches to getting more from the internet
Excel: now you've opened it, what to do next!
- Layouts, simple calculations, editing, formatting – ideal for home accounts
Microsoft Word - tips, tricks and general how to's
- Improve your use of Microsoft Word by getting familiar with formatting, layouts, tables and lots more.
- Plenty of hints, tips and tricks in this one!
Dates of Forthcoming Sessions:
The following sessions will run at Cafe Culture, which is located in the High Street, between 2pm and 4pm on the dates listed. Charge is £15 per session - including Tea or Coffee. Sessions are only booked when they are paid for and we do have to apply a strict 'first come, first served' rule. Please be aware that the room we use is on the first floor so there are stairs to be negociated.
- Wednesday 13th November - Self Help for Computer Users
- Wednesday 20th November - File and Folder Management
- Wednesday 27th November - Creating and Using Label Sheets
Please call or email the office to book, but please remember your place will only be held when payment is received.